Friday, August 9, 2013

Prejudgment



A short story by Soran Mustafa Kurdi

It was 8:20 am; I was standing with Chro, my classmate, discussing the criticism class assignment. Hangaw passed by us at five meter’s distance. He did not greet us. I felt miserable and dejected and read a frown on Chro’s face as well.

It was not like him. He was a wonderful guy with a perpetual smile on his face; a smile that warmed one’s heart the way sunlight warms snow covered mountains in early spring.

“He did not greet us,” Chro said, “nor did he bring the criticism book, he was supposed to bring it us today!” 

We decided not to talk to him that day in revenge of his unfriendly behavior. 

Later in the morning, after the class, Chro and I were walking in the college yard when we saw him talking with some of his friends. Seeing us in the distance, he waved in the air and headed toward us after taking leave from his friends.

“Didn’t see you all day long today,” he said with a big smile on his face, “I thought you were not coming to school. By the way, I have brought you the book!”

Chro said that he had passed by us and had not greeted us. With an empty face, Hangaw said he was so busy-minded early in the morning that he might have not noticed us.

“I am sorry,” he apologized “but you guys could have come to me and asked for the book.” Speechless, Chro and I just looked at each other.

 “I will go and get the book… see you in a minute.”

End

No comments:

Post a Comment