Friday, August 9, 2013

A child’s dream



A short story by Soran Mustafa Kurdi 

When I was nine, one day my uncle paid us a visit. He brought me a book. The book was an allegorical short story for children.

Until then, I had not seen or read any short stories except those stories we had in school.

The story was about a little black fish living with her mother in a small pond on the side of a mountain. One day the little black fish wanted to know what was happening elsewhere. He set out for a journey. In her journey, the little black fish saw many new things and went on and on till he reached a sea. Unfortunately, after her adventurous journey she would be swallowed by a heron.

Reading the story for the first time, I felt so sad until tears came down from my eyes. I felt so pity for the little black fish, as her parents were not with her when she was facing the difficulties in her journey. Later that day, I read the story for the second time. I can say, with no exaggeration, that I have read the story for a dozen times since then. Each time I got something from it. When I read it for the fifth time for the next days, something came to my mind: “One day I am going to be a writer, short story writer.” When I got a little older and read more stories and novels, I told myself “One day I am going to be a novelist, as well.”

The story changed my life. I decided that one day I would write the best ever written-novel.

Now, I find myself here, I want to write, I want to make my dream come true. 

End

No comments:

Post a Comment